[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Council of Elrond • View topic - how to release rules digests?

how to release rules digests?

Moderator: Thorsten the Traveller

how to release rules digests?

Postby thorondor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:11 pm

thorondor
Vice-chair

Re: how to release rules digests?

Postby Bandobras Took » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:06 pm

I'm assuming Mikko will be adding them to the URD as they are published.
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

You probably aren't playing Fallen Wizards .
Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby marcos » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:19 am

I agree all the rules content must be on the coe web assuming our idea is to "merge" the info on meccg.net with coe
marcos

Postby miguel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:26 am

meccgnetrep (at) gmail (dot) com
miguel
Council Member

Postby Bandobras Took » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:26 pm

Makes sense to me. In that case, it may be a good idea to sticky published digests over the course of the year and then unsticky them once they're incorporated.
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Even if not all stuff in the digests will make it to URD, we still need a solid system for looking up questions answered in digests, to serve the public and to avoid the same questions being asked (take some load off Mikko's shoulders). Search functions at this forum at least don't work well enough, I'd say. Isn't there a way to make a complete manageable Digest document, without too much effort? Wouldn't a single pdf suffice? are all digests actually even accessible?
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby Bandobras Took » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:43 pm

That's theoretically handled by the card-specific rulings section of the URD; if anything's clear based on previous rulings, there's no need to repeat yourself.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:47 pm

I disagree. Especially newbee's will appreciate to know the working of a card, even if it does not represent a ruling. The NetRep also explains stuff without any rules implications, thus a document containing all digests will be useful.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby miguel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:56 pm

There is at least one doc-file containing all the digests going around (originally compiled by yours truly). I use it for research, and while I'd appreciate people looking for answers before coming to me with questions (you'd be surprised how many don't even check the CRF), the document containing all the digests is not great for general use because:
(i) it contains typos, which can cause the search-function to miss the ruling
(ii) the ruling people find might have been later overturned, but they miss that one
(iii) the newbees won't necessarily know what to look for
(iv) it's a pretty damn big document, and somewhat of a mess due to typos and overturnings

I think URD will be a good tool for the general public, but it's not meant to end all rules-questions, because people will still ask questions already answered in it and come up with new ones from time to time. Naturally if something keeps coming up again and again, I'll make sure it finds its way to the URD. :wink:

@Ben: Good idea about the sticky, I'll do that!

edit: I don't have moderating rights on the rules questions board, so I guess someone else needs to sticky the digests (or give me mod rights)..?
miguel
Council Member

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:07 pm

you saying there are also typos in the cardnames in the digests?
a simple search for cardname would yield all results in such file containing all digests, size of the file is of no consequence, you don't have to read it all. And of course if you're dumb enough to stop searching after the first hit, well that's your own problem then.
I for one would like to have such file.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby marcos » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:26 pm

card names are called with their starting letter lots of times, for example Open to the summons would be called OttS. It is not reallly a typo but it could prevent someone to find what he is looking for...
marcos

Postby miguel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:27 pm

miguel
Council Member

Postby thorondor » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:45 pm

i would also like to see the complete Rules Digest up on the homepage in the rules section.
writing a short introduction how to use it best might help a lot.

@mikko: you got mod rights!
thorondor
Vice-chair

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:10 pm

Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby miguel » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:15 am

miguel
Council Member

Next

Return to CoE Rules & Errata