[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Council of Elrond • View topic - Time limit during online tournaments

Time limit during online tournaments

Moderator: Thorsten the Traveller

Time limit during online tournaments

Postby marcos » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:54 pm

marcos

Re: Time limit during online tournaments

Postby Bandobras Took » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 pm

I've added my own comment there, but I'll only point out here that time limits are only valid if both players agree to play quickly -- otherwise, one of them can hog the time limit, especially if they're in the lead against a dunk deck, which happened to me once. ;)
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

You probably aren't playing Fallen Wizards .
Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Also commented there, and my point exactly, a time limit in general solves little or nothing and creates additional problems (dissatisfaction and disputes). Time limits are a necessary tool to keep a tournament on schedule, not settle disputes about styles of play. In the preferred situation there wouldn't be any time limits.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby Shapeshifter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Shapeshifter
Council Member

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:23 am

I think that would create more issues than it would solve Karsten.
"Hey your 20 mins is up" - yeah, but I went to the toilet you know, and that dude asked me a rules question I had to answer, and my dice rolled off the table and I spent 1 minute searching for them, and try CvCC with 15 dwarves, or walking 7 comps around Mordor, while you just have your singular Pallando squat, besides you didn't punch the clock at the end of your turn correctly..."

even though 20 mins is way too generous of course, as that would mean 40 mins per turn, so you'd have a regular 2 turn game.

imo the problem perceived is bigger than the problem at hand. Stalling is mainly an issue just with dunk decks. Time limits mostly with inexperience players.

While we're at it, why not make a rule for talking too much during a game? we know Heiner for example always hypnotizes his opponents by talking them to sleep...or a rule for being too nervous, that's always unsettling, Dominique shuffling his cards in hand all the time, I can't think straight with that going on...

These things should be left to settle between both players.
There will always be style issues, but if your feel opponent is stalling, be a man and say it to his face, if he doesn't respond to your satisfaction, then take it up with a judge.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby Frodo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:38 am

The idea of time limits on gccg came up many years ago.

During this time, I argued that if we had some sort of time limit, it should not be a time limit per say (because of the reasons already mentioned here), but rather a *turn limit*. For example, for tournament GCCG play, we could set a maximum turn limit at 6 turns per player (maybe 7).

The advantages of a turn limit is that is mimics what some players already do--they play for a while, then if they are both being beaten up in MP, they say "okay, another turn apiece."

However, my suggestion would only work if part of the problem is precisely that: both players getting beaten up in MPs during tournament gccg play, and so the game crawling forward until both decks exhaust three times (or whatever that rule is). If we don't think that this is a significant problem, but rather the problem is players who are actively stalling, then my solution will not work. Can other state what the problem is, exactly?

p.s. the only other wrinkle with my solution is that it eliminates some bizarre decks from competing that rely on getting a large number of turns--like 8--even though these are very fast turns. I know know of one deck that does this, however--the characterless decks that take 15 second turns in the beginning. It's a beautiful deck, but I haven't played it in so long anyway...

Frodo
Frodo

Postby Jose-san » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Jose-san

Postby Sauron » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Sauron

Postby Jose-san » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:22 pm

Jose-san