[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Council of Elrond • View topic - A Universal Rules Document?

A Universal Rules Document?

Moderator: Thorsten the Traveller

Re: A Universal Rules Document?

Postby Bandobras Took » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:32 pm

My work has gone into overtime mode, and incorporating the CoE rulings is naturally the slowest part of the process, so the next version update may take a while. Rest assured I am still working on it. :)

As a side note, I'm altering the version plan slightly: 3.0 will include all NetRep rulings, be they card or concept related. This will prevent having to go through the digests twice.
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

You probably aren't playing Fallen Wizards .
Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:43 pm

Good thinking.
Any inkling as to how many pages the final document will be? :D
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby Bandobras Took » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:34 am

Too many. :)

As a side note, many of the questions and answers are simply rehashes of things already made clear in the rules; these I am not including. I am also rewriting the answers to avoid the "question and answer format." This should save a little space.
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Bandobras Took » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:22 am

Version 2.2: All of Van Norton's digests incorporated. Added a correction from the CreecH.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Jose-san » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:41 am

Some feedback about the document structure after skimming it:

- I would put "Glossary of Terms" after "Game Mechanics" as is usual in this kind of documents. Also I find a bit discouraging for new players.
- I don't think that "A. Building a Deck", "B. Starting Cards" and "I. Victory Conditions" should be part of "III. Player Turn Summary".
- Please, use different symbols for nested list. It can be confusing.

I'm reading it in detail now. It looks great!
Jose-san

Postby Bandobras Took » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Some of the earlier posts suggested the idea of a simplified rules document for beginners, which I'm all for.

I put the general flow of the game under the Player Turn Summary, which includes both deck building and victory conditions. It seemed natural enough to go Beginning of Game -> Turn Cycle -> End of Game.

I'll consider moving the glossary, but I definitely wanted some space between it and the card rulings.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Bandobras Took » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:27 am

I've incorporated the first 10 CoE digests, found two egregious errors, one controversial ruling, and complained more about the inconsistent Adunaphel ruling. :)

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby thorondor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:03 pm

suggestion: can you document these wrong rulings and inconsistencies? would help a lot to have them fixed.
thorondor
Vice-chair

Postby Bandobras Took » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:20 pm

I posted the big one on the Rules Forum. The problem is that they may have been overturned in later digests, so I'm hesitant to panic too much.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:50 am

AWESOME :)
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Postby Bandobras Took » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:27 am

Updated with CoE 11-20. Digest 20 was pretty easy. ;)

Incidentally, the Digests are still entitled "weekly" at this point. Perhaps we should prod the NetRep to at least do a monthly "I'm here and browsing the forums" post? :)

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Bandobras Took » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:51 pm

Updated with 21-25, and asked a few more questions on the Rules forum. :)

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Bandobras Took » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:45 am

Updated with 26-30 (including 27a & b). Found a reference to a Balrog rulebook that doesn't appear on the CoE website. We've only got a 5-page Balrog rulebook.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Bandobras Took » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:34 pm

Konrad Klar has graciously donated some scans of the complete MEBA rulebook so that I can incorporate a couple of vital rules found there and nowhere else. I suggest anybody who knows him and can reach him buy him a drink of his choice. :)

I'm also off of overtime at work, so should be able to do some consistent work on incorporating the complete MEBA rules as well as some more CoE digests. 8)

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Bandobras Took » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:02 am

Incorporated the MEBA complete rules and 30-35, including a little gem from Chad Martin about the Balrog turn summary and influencing cards controlled by an avatar. ;)

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

PreviousNext

Return to CoE Rules & Errata