[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Council of Elrond • View topic - What kind of other rule changes do you think we need?

What kind of other rule changes do you think we need?

Moderators: Vastor Peredhil, Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor's Dreamers

What kind of other rule changes do you think we need?

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:58 pm

Last edited by Vastor Peredhil on Mon May 11, 2009 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Postby sly southerner » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:27 am

sly southerner

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:48 am

Well a start for CVCC would be that companies are both considered to be attacking as well as being attacked

so minions finally have a use for Motionless Among the Slain, and wizards and there spells (Wizard's Flame) get a little boost.

same for Magic-user minions using Driven as by Madness

Also some unleashed cards might be tricky, as they could be used now with both effects (Khamul would be the baddest I believe)

or a Dwarf-lord using Dwarves are upon you! to wipe out some orcs, which could counter either with Broad Blades or Goblins or Upon you!

I believe my playgroup is/was using these rule anyone, and I know others do as well

mfg Nicolai
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:24 pm

Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Postby Shapeshifter » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:13 pm

Shapeshifter
Council Member

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:24 am

Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:54 am

Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Postby dirhaval » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:03 pm

I do agree with the changes for CVCC (company is attacked and being attacks). Didn't Isaac Newton say something similar...

I also agree for the playing of unique items at the sites stored. This will increase CvCC.

-Dirhaval
dirhaval

Postby Shapeshifter » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:15 pm

Shapeshifter
Council Member

Postby Ringbearer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:08 pm

"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Ringbearer

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:51 am

But does that difference stem from these abundant new rules Bert, or the vast amount of new cards and avatars?

But yes it's always advisable to be as parsimoneous with the rules as possible, excellent post Karsten!
let me add a few cents, I see a few lines here.
:arrow: You'd prefer new cards when it comes to rulings on single cards (if possible). This could increase the amount of new cards considerably however, which is another point of objection for some. Also, you get pretty similar cards around, and old versions are still not used. Perhaps, more general rules can be devised for the single cards that do help: items that are discardable don't require bearer to tap? this affects healing herbs and athelas, for example. Or, minor items do not require to tap bearer at all? (star-glass, the most stupid issue of deadly dart)

:arrow: Second, you mention a few category related issues, or 'definition' related rules (woses chars., flying ability). These can easily be put together in a nice overview, you don't have to memorize them, we just need an easy to handle chart to look them up - or 'store' these rules, so to speak. I am currently doing this already for all the 'can't be played, may not be included' stuff, and I call it the card restriction sheet. It's a document that lists for each avatar which cards you may include but not play, may not include, may not start with, may not play against, may specifically play contrary to rules, etc.
I've also worked on the territorial overview list, which is in the same league (it's availabe but not handy). And similar thing could be done for new definitions on subsets. For example, it would be easy to state: 'each ally normally playable at Wellinghall is considered an Ent-ally', this makes reading/making cards easier - which incidentally will backfire because Nico will use it as excuse to put more in them :wink:
Perhaps even in the future a list with keywords might be devised. I'm currently thinking on this for my own set of invented cards to be used in the Arda game.

:arrow: Last, and resulting from the above: maybe a short-list and a long-list can be made. Some stuff that hardly ever happens can be on the long-list, only to be consulted when need arrises. The coastal type changer is one example, I suppose this only happens with Girdle of Radagast, yet it is not obsolete. Newbies can then just ignore the long-list for the time being.

some specific remarks, only where I disagree, so rest I side with Shapeshifter:
-healing at home site: very useful, easy to remember.
-agent characters in starting comp: agents are usually better, hence this rule, and it encourages the use of dreamcard characters. Personally I don't feel starting with any agent of same race as your avatar is overpowered, but I could be wrong. If this is ok, then the rule can be discarded.
-game ends after death of avatar: we talked about this at worlds, it's too harsh, the normal -5 mp's will suffice. Moreover, in a tourney environment this doesn't work.
-play characters at home site: I think this rule is fine. You need a character present though, the cards mentioned by Shapeshifter circumvent this (likewise Clan Bonds).
-CoaOW non-unique: yes, but then it should be worth 0 mp's.
-Sacrifice of Form: I don't get this, FW's cant use Sacrifice and neither can Lords. :?
-resources in long event phase: this is an abberation, this rule is needed.

o yeah, the unstoring of unique items: agreed, after some consideration. Storing is boring. :wink: In some situations you are 'forced' to store (lone char with loads of corruption), well, then just hope your opponent doesnt have item in deck. How about Mithril though? And I'm a bit iffy on Book of Mazarbul/Earth of Galadriel/Red Book of Westmark also, these yield no points unless stored, so you have to store them...
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby Alter Tuk » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Alter Tuk

Postby Ringbearer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:10 am

"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Ringbearer

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:11 am

Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Postby Alter Tuk » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:07 am

Alter Tuk

Next

Return to Development Zone