[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Council of Elrond • View topic - DC Poll: Character MP max

DC Poll: Character MP max

Moderators: Vastor Peredhil, Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor's Dreamers

The maximum of Character MP's in DC games should be 10

You may select 1 option

View results

DC Poll: Character MP max

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:38 am

good friends of the DC game,

Our last poll (flippable versions) was received well, that's great! Since this democracy thing is all the hype lately, let's have another poll, this one a bit more daring...

proposal:
In DC games, the maximum of Character MP's a player can receive at the end of the game is 10.
nb. to call the Free Council (Audience, etc.) all character MP's are still counted, but a maximum of 10 Character MP's at the end of the game are counted.

we consider 10 MP's a fair amount, but this is up for debate.
nb. This idea was even considered for the standard game by CoE members some time ago, and DC players being pioneers, why not test it?

pro:
- diminishes the power of pure squatter decks that play characters for points.
- allows a bit more risk-taking with characters, as opponent will not run away with MP's if yours get killed.
- frees up more DI to do other cool stuff, such as making influence attempts or defending with DI.
- allows more use of DC cards that increase or decrease DI, such as commands, without much risk of upsetting the MP balance.
- promotes playing more little fellows that do not give MP's, as their used GI is not so much wasted.

con:
- the DI/GI balance (and how to handle it) is a part of the game, e.g. with more free GI some hazards (and/or strategies, e.g. agents) might become less useful (Call of Home etc). However, there are still GI/DI reducing hazards one can use.
- the relevance of bonusses of cool resources (e.g. Dwarven Rings) will become less. However, more characters in play still means more options to achieve other goals.
- a limit on Character MP's might also mean a limit to other MP sources, if those make up more than half of your total MP's. However, balancing MP sources might be considered a good thing, which was also why we introduced the possible doubling of Miscellaneous MP's.

which decks would suffer?
Sauron and Great Shadow Balrog are champions of DI/GI. And minions de facto use more of their GI having a free +5 bonus against influence attempts. Some claim minions have less high MP resources, so Character MP's are relatively more important. On the other hand, active Ringwraith decks struggle to gather Character MP's (no Bade to Rule, avatar away from home), so they will benefit relatively.

Lords (with a Trusted Counsellor) and Fallen-wizards (Friend + Myrmidon cards) also have much DI/GI, and more options to increase besides. To their benefit, the need to play Great Patron diminishes, and Lords might hesitate less to play characters not of their race.

In general, (haven) squatting decks will suffer the most, as their characters simply die less, so MP's stack up. Also squatter decks tend to get nearly half their total MP's from Character MP's.

Agree, disagree? Should DC make more alterations to the game and/or why/not? give us your thoughts.

Nicolai & Eric
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Re: DC Poll: Character MP max

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:04 am

Hmm, people view but do not vote, is this a very complicated issue? Feel free to present your thoughts!
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby Fangorn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:25 pm

I checked all decks I made, and all of them have between 9 and 11 expected character MP.
Additionally, I can't remember a game with opponent ending with 12 or more character MP.

So I don't feel concerned now, because DC is cool play by nature.
Nonetheless I voted yes in case DC community grows with cheezy play.
Hrum, Hoom ! Do not be hasty, that is my motto.
Fangorn

Postby Shapeshifter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:27 pm

I voted NO because I think that we shouldn't decrease the number of possible decks. There might be many very interesting decks that focus on gathering 12+ character points. Moreover I don't like too many rules changes.
Shapeshifter
Council Member

Postby gollum51 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:28 pm

One more rule to remember to fix a problem that I have never really faced. If you face a squatter deck that relies on character MP, just punch the guy ;-). So it is a no for me. The fact that no one bothers to vote might mean that few people see the current situation as a problem. If it ain't broken don't fix it. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
gollum51

Postby dirhaval » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:24 am

I voted No with less than 20 gccg games to my name.

The avatars can make MPs in treasure quantities are the two Ringwraiths with items reducing mind of Dunadan and Necromancer with agents.
For me I would try to counter by killing characters or removing other card points to push his excess character MPs higher.
If the player makes great use of all those characters like Join with That Power or otherwise, then I do not care.
dirhaval

Postby Fangorn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Just realized 3rd option "Hmm, maybe" which I should have voted for.
Hrum, Hoom ! Do not be hasty, that is my motto.
Fangorn

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:06 am

Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby gollum51 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:05 pm

I had forgotten about that deck! Can I change my vote? [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]
gollum51

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:08 am

Ok, even with 2 people changing their vote from no to maybe, it doesn't seem like this one receives much acclaim. We'll leave it as is then.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Return to Development Zone