[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Council of Elrond • View topic - Durlach Quests/Misc MPs?

Durlach Quests/Misc MPs?

Moderators: Vastor Peredhil, Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor's Dreamers

Durlach Quests/Misc MPs?

Postby Bandobras Took » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 am

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot for a Durlach Balrog to do. Lord and Usurper, etc, require him to move all the way down from the North, which he is decidedly poor at doing, what with having to return to his home site; and they're doesn't seem to be a good Balrog quest card for the Northern Waste Under-deeps. Is there a theme for Durlach beyond generic Balrogy Under-deeps stuff?
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

You probably aren't playing Fallen Wizards .
Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Re: Durlach Quests/Misc MPs?

Postby dirhaval » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:19 am

I believe that one can make Darkhavens using Roots of the Earth and Durlach can use
these new havens to hop around further into the Under-Deeps.

I was thinking to make a mission event for major MPs for recreating the
Northern Waste into a wasteland just like the plains between Thangororidrim and Gondolin.
My idea is to use the following on the nearby Border-holds to create a waste land:

Eddy of Fate's Tide OR People Diminished on a Border-hold OR on a Hold Rebuilt and Repaired Ruins,
play Vile Fumes,
play nearby Orc and Troll factions,
change Region types with a permanent-event to Shadow-lands.
dirhaval

Postby dirhaval » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:23 am

I rather ask this question here instead of making a new topic.

Can Durlach use region movement if Prison's Spell is Fading is in play with a token? That is Durlach does not
need Out He Sprang since the region movement restriction is not on Durlach's card as "The Balrog" card?

Thank you.
dirhaval

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:52 pm

Well we stripped Durlach from stuff defined by rules, as usual we needed more space on the card ;-)

Balrogs (like Dragons) are considered Ringwraith by rule, so they are not allowed normally to use region movement. Besides, meba rules also explicitly state The Balrog may not use region movement.

nb. There is still the issue whether the meba rules apply only to The Balrog, or to Balrogs as a class, but I believe we tackled that in Grey Player rules.

nb2. I just checked the meba rules, and I can't see any rule that explicitly allows The Balrog to use Under-deeps movement. Weird? It does state the RW special rules (repeated in meba p.19) do not apply to Balrog, but this section does not cover RW movement (not exhaustively), so it makes no exception to the mele rules.

For Ringwraiths it's stated in mele rules they may normally move to Darkhavens, they may not use region movement, and they need a resource to move in any other fashion. Meas rules state nothing about RW movement. At least RW are not explicitly forbidden to use Under-deeps movement, but as no resource allows them such, they can't use Under-deeps movement, unless moving to an Under-deeps Darkhaven. However, the Demon Fána cards also do not explicitly state The Balrog may use Under-deeps movement. Ergo, unless there's a ruling I didn't check, Balrog can't move unless to Darkhavens?
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby Bandobras Took » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:33 pm

Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby dirhaval » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:24 am

Thank you for the reply and all its glory.

I was thinking Durlach did not need Out He Sprang since he needed
another card with trouble of its own compared to The Balrog.
In summary, Out He Sprang is needed for Durlach to use
region movement when not moving to Eithel Morgoth
but to another site in a region.

Since Durlach is imprisoned, I was thinking of his MP mission(s) events
would deal with surface action. That is instead of Roots of the Earth and
Breach the Hold, it would be Eddy in Fate's Tide + Tempest of Fire,
then two new events to combat survivors and to create a Shadow-hold
allowing healing and becoming a home site of Durlach. Just an idea.
dirhaval

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:32 pm

Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby Bandobras Took » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:47 pm

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby dirhaval » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:55 pm

Thank you for the comments. All these years I did not think the Balrog needed a mode event to
move to a non-Darkhaven site. I thought it obvious he did not need a mode, but I did not
fully apply the MEBA rules 100% as you mentioned. And I know he still does not need a mode.

I just thought that Durlach appeared weaker and more restrictive than The Balrog so I assumed
Durlach has some leeway of needing less cards such as Out He Sprang. I would like to see
Durlach with normal 9 prowess myself to make him a bit more likely to move as Flame of Udun
in the Under-deeps so he can have companies on the surface...just my opinion.

I know space on the card is an issue; I like everything on "The Well" by the way.
dirhaval

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:40 pm

Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby Bandobras Took » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:07 pm

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby dirhaval » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:22 am

I have some questions about Durlach's movement. Sorry.
I just read the updated text on Prison's Spell is Fading.
I know his movement is highly restrictive, which is find with me.
But...may be his quest card is to break from the prison? The he receives +3 prowess and +1 body
so to be a bit more powerful than The Balrog and demonstrate the danger of his release. Just thinking.

My question with Prison's Spell is Fading is:
1. can multiple tokens be removed at one time to move multiple regions or under-deep sites?
I am guessing that he moves to one under-deeps site, then uses Gangway Over the Fires
to remove another token to move again.

2. Does Prison's Spell is Fading override his requirement to return home?
That is he is at Iron-deeps. He feels grumpy about his prison, so he removes a token
to move to Under-leas. Is that right?

3. Anyone use Faster Than the Winds on Durlach to get him to a beach for vacation?

Thank you.
dirhaval

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:25 pm

Hey dude,

well Eric & I are discussing the same things basically within our MSE development files, strange but the same questions come up ;)

so we have no answers yet
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Postby dirhaval » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:05 am

Hi.

I have yet to know how to gain access to the MSE files to provide comments, but that is
something I guess I can find the instructions in this forum.

I also wonder if Master of Dread and Fear can override the automatic trip to the home site since
that resource says the balrog cannot "move." But I think we all know the answer is "No."

Umm. May be if Durlach bears a Ring of Power he can break free?
dirhaval

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:42 am

Hi William,

you really should check out MSE files they are nicer to work with than back & forth in here
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Return to Development Zone