[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Council of Elrond • View topic - Middle Earth: The Red Nightfall

Middle Earth: The Red Nightfall

Moderators: Vastor Peredhil, Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor's Dreamers

Middle Earth: The Red Nightfall

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:54 am

Hi all,

Ben aka b_took aka Bandrobras Took send a new mini-set taking on the faction wars aspect in middle-earth.

Please check out the file or would you rather have in the MSE to commend on (as I would prefer)

yours Nicolai
Attachments
MERN.doc
(132 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Re: Middle Earth: The Red Nightfall

Postby Bandobras Took » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:18 pm

I do have more card ideas; but didn't want to drown out the concept in its details. ;)
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

You probably aren't playing Fallen Wizards .
Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 am

I will just post 2 files I deemed the community not ready to deal with yet, but Ben's files goes along the same lines, so efforts must be joined to make us a cool "Faction Wars" set

mfg Nicolai
Attachments
95_factions.doc
(487.5 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
58_MEWR.doc
(229.5 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Postby Bandobras Took » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:32 pm

A quick comment on the MEWR rules:

In my mind, the ultimate principle for faction battles should be simplicity. As the complexity of a rules set grows:

1) Possibilities for abuse multiply, and
2) The newcomer grows less and less interested in trying to learn all the necessary rules.

In my mind, designations such as Light or Heavy Infantry, etc. are not important. The goal should not be to turn ME:TW into ME: Axis & Allies. Too many modifiers and numbers to check against that are not on the actual card will seriously slow down gameplay. For example, I personally see no need for body checks against factions -- body checks represent a character's heroic efforts to survive -- it's less applicable to a large group.

Also, many of the effects available by rule in the MEWR document would be both easier to remember and funner to use as cards in the game -- resource or hazard events as needed. Things such as protecting a given site/region, impeding enemy movement, etc.

Again, simplicity in the basic mechanic should be the goal. Complexities can and should grow out of individual cards.
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Bandobras Took » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:27 pm

As an example, instead of assigning body values to each faction which must be looked up in the rules, create a card like:

Endurance Of Stone
Resource Permanent Event
When one of your dwarf factions would otherwise be eliminated, a body check is made against a body of 8. The faction is only eliminated if the body check fails.

This has the advantage of making the number easier to remember (being in play in front of you) and also of giving a Dwarf factions an added edge that may make them funner to play.

Instead of all factions generally affecting regions:

Lands Reclaimed
Resource Permanent Event
Playable on a faction not in their home region. The faction's current region type becomes one step closer to a Free-Domain. Discard if the faction moves. May not be duplicated in a given region.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Bandobras Took » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:37 pm

Does anybody have any further thoughts on valid mechanics? I'd like to start working on fusing terminology and creating the necessary cards.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Bandobras Took » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:53 am

All right, so I got bored waiting for responses.

I've gone with my mechanics as being innately simpler:
MPs are faction strength (rather than having to look up a chart);
Factions get wounded, then eliminated (rather than having to look up a chart and make body checks);
Factions use regions, not sites (should reduce confusion on what is where).

I've added some cards and updated the rules.
Attachments
MERN.zip
(500.33 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Bandobras Took » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:56 am

I wasn't sure what to do with Dark is the Hour; suggestions?

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Bandobras Took » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:02 am

Looks like I didn't finish Ride To World's Ending, either. I should really proofread more . . . :)

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:02 am

Hi Ben, hi the rest

I commit-ed Bens reworked set with my comments, already it looks better ;)
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Postby Bandobras Took » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:58 pm

I've made updates based on Vastor's comments, but will wait for others.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:24 am

sry I was/am quite busy. You tend to be away for some time and then hurricane back into it :wink:
I will have a look more closely later and we'll make a decission on the purpose and scope of faction battling.

I like the idea of being able to wound factions thus decreasing faction mp's, while not eliminating them if they avoid the battle. That makes it possible to incorporate into a regular game.

Needing cards btw. is not always more clear, especially when you have a table full of them.
And of course, play and use of cards depends on timing, rules don't. If I need a card from sb to boost my faction's chances of survival when being attacked, I might very well be too late to see them live.

I fear a bit for the strength of flying dragon factions. They are strong (high MP), can move fast/far, and what happens to the associated attack? I suppose this is why you made new manifestations, but I rather dislike having too many manifestations. For some dragons we have 5 manifestations already, seems plenty. Rather make a resource to enrage them.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby Bandobras Took » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:51 pm

I've actually eliminated the new manifestations per other comments; dragons now just stay at home and have a good defensive card, while you can send your dragon-lord himself around if you want to attack an opponent's armies.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Bandobras Took » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:58 am

The hurricane continues . . . :)

I updated based on some comments and added some "quest" type cards based on other comments, so you don't necessarily need to beat the tar out of your opponent's factions in order to get enjoyment out of your own factions moving. ;)
Attachments
Rich Reward Of Aid.jpg
Rich Reward Of Aid.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
MERN.zip
(491.93 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Return to Development Zone