[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Council of Elrond • View topic - Transferring of Data from Old to New webpage

Transferring of Data from Old to New webpage

Transferring of Data from Old to New webpage

Postby the Jabberwock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:00 am

Hello All -

I am honored to be a part of such a fine group of gentlemen that have come together to form the new 2017 CoE! I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. =)

Anyhow, as I believe you are all aware, we are in the process of transferring to a new web page and forum. I am knee deep in the swamp currently working to get all of the data transferred over from the current CoE web page to the new and upcoming one.

As such, a bit of house cleaning is in order.... there are some very old links and information on the current website. Many items no longer apply or are out of date. Part of my mission is to clean things up a bit and make the webpage and forum a little more user friendly and intuitive.

That said, I want to be completely transparent and respectful to the current council as well as those who came before. I will not change or delete anything indiscriminately. I will be using this forum thread to make a post about each item which I plan to delete or change for the new webpage. My purpose in making these posts is so that all of you can speak up if you are opposed to the change or wish to make a suggestion.

Humbly Yours,

Gavin
the Jabberwock

Re: Transferring of Data from Old to New webpage

Postby the Jabberwock » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:55 pm

Ok, below is a list of the initial changes that I am planning to make to the new webpage which is under development. If anyone has objections or suggestions, please add them to this thread. I will continue to post more as I have time to work through everything. I am not posting most of the cosmetic or reorganization changes, but rather primarily content changes. Thank you.

#1) Home page content is being moved to Mission Statement link and deleting material below "May you find wisdom in these halls," (which is just the NEWS word and the blurb about World Championships in 2013).

#2) Charter - may need amending... TBD by CoE.

#3) Current Members link being updated with our current active council, and "old" current member info being added to the Past Council list.

#4) "Major Decisions" link being deleted.

#5) "National Councils" link being deleted. Looking for suggestions on this one. There are 35 national councils listed and only 3 of them lead to an actual webpage: Belgium, The Netherlands, and Japan. Of those 3, it doesn't appear that any of them have been updated in many years, so far as I can tell. Obviously it is important for new players to find people in their respective countries. So a contact list of some kind is in order. The question is whether to have that be a part of the forum or directly part of the main web page. Let me know what you guys think. As of now, I plan to delete all of this out-dated information.

#6) "International Tournaments" link - only half of the links lead to a webpage, the others are dead links. Also, the last tournament reported with info is 2007. Is this something you guys want to keep? If so, it seems appropriate to move it to an Archive of some sort.
the Jabberwock

Postby Shapeshifter » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:13 pm

#1: ok
#2: ok
#3: ok
#4: I would like to see this archived somewhere, maybe it is even worth to keep up? Especially the "One of a kind" Proxy Rule could be of interest to new players.
#5: archive
#6: it shouldn't be much work to keep this and feed with new tournaments. the question is if this would be of any interest to players. we could also link to my webpage with tournament results instead and archive this.
Shapeshifter
Council Member

Postby the Jabberwock » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:11 pm

the Jabberwock

Postby the Jabberwock » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:26 pm

I am currently working on the Global Playerlist on our main page.

Currently the list includes:

- Name
- City & Country
- Collector / Player status
- meccg nick
- gccg nick

Please let me know your opinions on which of these categories are important to keep. Obviously name and city/country will be kept, but this list can be customized however we prefer.

I think it would be nice to add an email address. That way you could look up your City/Country and email anyone you would like to contact.

Thoughts?
the Jabberwock

Postby thorondor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:00 pm

i think this list makes only sense if an email address is included. otherwise there is no way to get in contact with any player.
thorondor
Vice-chair

Postby the Jabberwock » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:54 pm

the Jabberwock

Return to Agenda Items