[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Council of Elrond • View topic - Charter rewrite

Charter rewrite

Re: Charter rewrite

Postby Bandobras Took » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Disagree with the playtesting period. Instead, have proposed errata also require a majority vote from the CoE; the time length for the vote can be whatever, but I'd say two months. A Council Member can get all their playtesting out of the way before voting (and probably actually should, all things considered.) I object to a designated playtesting period apart from any votes because the process is already sluggish enough and always will be. If we make playtesting synonymous with casting a vote, it's less likely that a given proposal will end up just sitting there, as Thorondor mentioned.
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

You probably aren't playing Fallen Wizards .
Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Bandobras Took » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:17 pm

Actually, the NetRep section needs some looking at. Right now, it says, "The Council shall maintain" the NetRep, however, so far as I know:

The Council didn't appoint the current NetRep;
The Council didn't ratify the appointment of the current NetRep by the previous one; and
The Council does not review a NetRep's performance in any meaningful way.

If the NetRep is to be official, the Council needs to take a more active part in these things. Otherwise, we might as well recharter the NetRep as a separate entity.
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby thorondor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:41 pm

thorondor
Vice-chair

Postby Frodo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:48 pm

Good work everyone!

1) Re the inability of council members to finish their terms: Let's keep the powers of the COE broad in this situation, and say that "COE members will vote on who to replace the inactive member with." I don't think we need to be more specific.
2) Re the bi-monthly newsletter: Do we really see this as feasible? I used to run the newsletter myself, and can no longer do this. But I also ran into the problem whereby I kept meeting people who had not bothered to read the newsletter, no matter how long, gorgeous, and well-written it was :D . Perhaps the Council is imagining a very short newsletter that is sometimes just an "update" to what is happening in the world of MECCG. But twice a month still seems like too much--even once a month is pushing it.

Frodo
Frodo

Postby marcos » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:57 am

Regarding the newsletter thing, i believe that wolfgang's massive email with the last info about the game is ok for now because of what joe points out. I really liked frodo's newsletter but it is true that making it takes a lot of time and not much people takes the time to care for it and read it. Something short is indeed better for now.
marcos

Postby Bandobras Took » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:00 am

Agree, Thorondor's news emails get the job done. Regular is better than pretty. :)

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby miguel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:03 am

meccgnetrep (at) gmail (dot) com
miguel
Council Member

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:08 am

Hi,

indeed I was reading it like "once every 2 months"

also I do believe we need no play testing for most errata, as most issues have been around 10+ years, so honestly most fixes are minor and should be pretty clear,

only stuff like a Carambor fix, if we fix it at all needs play testing maybe

mfg Nicolai
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:10 pm

One more important point I think we need to give attention to, is what we can expect of organizing a vote in the community to ratify any changes. What is the democratic basis (mailing list? make a section where all active players can register to vote on changes?), who are our people?
Once we establish this, we can fix the needed numbers/percentages etc.
Personally I would favour a separate registration list for voting. This will give clarity also to our active player base.

About newsletter, I would not mention a term at all, this is a directive more than a binding rule. "The council shall actively inform the community on any decission by CoE involving the community, and shall promote publication of activities within the community." Or words to these effects.
Cause laws without means of inforcement have little use. Ok that holds true for the whole charter, but the bi-monthly update might be something we're destined to fail at.

About choosing a non-CoE member for the election, I think we should keep this, it was no doubt included to avoid any suspicion of CoE fixing its own re-election.

About choosing a replacement for dropouts: choosing from non-voting members sounds good to me.

About including URD in the charter. Well, the goal is to have it in the charter, right? So then rather make a new charter when we get the URD official? Would we need a community vote on making the URD official? If so, then we wait with adding it to the charter. Otherwise we might as well add it now.

About playtesting: see my reply in the poll thread
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby Bandobras Took » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:54 pm

If we don't establish regular schedules for activity, then we lapse into a torpor that's damaging for the game. At some point, we've got to hold ourselves actually accountable instead of putatively accountable or we lose credibility.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:59 pm

Creating a newletter without any news is also gonna annoy the players. Rather say something when you have something to say. Besides I doubt we would feel the urge/incentive because charter says bi-monthly, if you need a charter to keep yourself awake...
but, if we must, make it "meccg quarterly" then
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby thorondor » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:25 pm

agree with ben! i really think we need some regulation as a crutch, otherwise the danger of torpor is there.

i also thought bi-monthly means a period of 2 months. and i am not talking about a newsletter like joes. this one was huge, but we do not have the means to keep up something like this.

the netrep is going to publish a rules digest bi-monthly anyway, so there is already something to tell.
i am pretty sure there is enough stuff for a bimonthly newletter. there are tournaments like Worlds and Lure, also nationals. there is GCCG. we could start with columns like player portraits, quizzes, polls, ...
i thnk a newsletter can help a lot to keep the commnity active.
thorondor
Vice-chair

Postby thorondor » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:38 am

thorondor
Vice-chair

Postby thorondor » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:41 am

thorondor
Vice-chair

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Well we could use the Forum list, but of course it has many dormant users so we still wouldn't have any information about how big the voting community is (more or less). And the players directory seems rather outdated to me.

Indeed anybody can make several accounts. I don't see how you would moderate that, there's no way to check for it, other than asking for multiple references, but even so I could make several fake (email) accounts together with a buddy of mine and tell you we'd know all these ficticious persons.

Making a separate voting registration doesn't change that, but having all sorts of new accounts appear just after opening such registration does arrouse suspicion.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

PreviousNext

Return to Agenda Items