[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Council of Elrond • View topic - Univeral Rules Document

Univeral Rules Document

The place to ask all rules questions related to MECCG

Moderator: NetRep Team

Re: Univeral Rules Document

Postby Manuel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:25 pm

This is great. Thanks a lot!
Manuel
Council Member

Postby Eyelid » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:42 am

--> Benjamin, would it be possible to perhaps add page numbers (and update the table of contents accordingly) to make it easier to find what you're looking for? This is a document I'd like to print out and keep handy, so an index with page number references would go a long way in swiftly locating a particular rule or ruling.

Alternatively, if this is not something many people will use, is there a way I can do this myself?

Thanks!
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Ford Prefect
"If you believe in Eternity, then life is irrelevant". House M.D.
Eyelid

Postby Bandobras Took » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:17 pm

4.2 -- Quick Page Number Version. If printed out, I suppose you can manually write in page numbers on the Index. ;)
Attachments
Middle Earth Universal Rules Document 4.2.pdf
(555.35 KiB) Downloaded 767 times
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

You probably aren't playing Fallen Wizards .
Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby Eyelid » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:42 pm

Excellent, thanks for responding so promptly, Benjamin, that's exactly what I'll do!
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Ford Prefect
"If you believe in Eternity, then life is irrelevant". House M.D.
Eyelid

Postby Khamul the Easterling » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:22 pm

I'd like to add thanks and a big compliment to the authors and editors and to everyone being involved in compiling the Universal Rules Book! (For a while I had my own project of putting all rules together into a single document, German, but this became some kind of neverending story). I'm convinced it will prove itself most useful, every MECCG-player will greatly benefit from it.
Khamul the Easterling
Council Member

Postby miguel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:59 am

While I appreciate and admire Ben's effort on this document, I feel it's necessary to point out this Universal Rules Document is not official, and some of the things inside should be taken with a grain of salt. Still a great tool for most players I'm sure, so cheers!
meccgnetrep (at) gmail (dot) com
miguel
Council Member

Postby Bandobras Took » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:51 am

Er . . . no. As a member of the CoE, I was given the task to create a URD, did so, posted it in the Council Forum for their approval, and had it approved. It is as official as the CoE can make it.

However, we are also considering making the maintenance and upkeep of this document part of the official responsibilities of the NetRep, in which case, it will be your job to make sure it's official. :)
Remember, NetRep rulings are official. This does not necessarily mean they are correct.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby miguel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:34 am

Really, so are you saying your document supersedes the ICE rulebooks, CRF and ICE/CoE Digests? I ask because there are some differences, and this document seems to have a very, well, "personal approach". I must have missed the discussion/vote/announcement from CoE regarding this, and find it strange CoE would not have contacted their rules guy beforehand. If such a decision exists, could you provide me with a link please? (I am able to read the CoE sections but did not find it.) Thanks.
miguel
Council Member

Postby Bandobras Took » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:50 am

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby miguel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:16 pm

miguel
Council Member

Postby Bandobras Took » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:27 pm

I won't miss it -- in fact, I'll update this URD as soon as it comes out; even the rulings I don't agree with.

My goal was not to undermine the NetRep team. But I've known players to be turned off by rulings and explanations that are essentially dictatorial and appear on the surface to be inconsistent. My goal in commenting on the vagaries of cards and interpretations, not to mention reversals by the NetRep team, was to build authority for the NetRep team through trust rather than through -- for lack of a better term -- elitism. A person who sees open acknowledgment that rules are messy and that rulings can be overturned is more likely to be patient with a ruling from the NetRep team that he does not favor.

I do however, take exception to inconsistency in rulings, and I'm not really alone in this: Konrad Klar and I disagree on almost every rule question out there, but he also has commented on the inconsistency in the stated guiding principles of the NetRep's rulings vs. the principles that are actually at work.

I certainly wouldn't take over bus driving for a bus driver, but there is a point where I'll get out and walk if it's quicker than waiting for him to get back to driving the bus.

Now, again, if somebody finds an error, they're free to PM me or put it in this post. Konrad Klar did so; I updated it. This is a work that is and will be in progress. It's completely open to corrections from any and all sources -- there's even some .odt source in one of the posts so people can make their own versions, formatting them as they like. As I mentioned before, I'm heavily in favor of putting this under the domain of the NetRep, to update according to new digests, etc.

Use the word "endorsed" if you so desire; no member of the CoE objected to this being made publicly available, and the thread went to over 7 pages in the CoE Rules & Errata subforum. This is at least as official as, say, a potential NetRep ruling that equates "move to" with "at," which would absolutely flat-out contradict ICE rulebooks. ;)

And one final note. I didn't say the NetRep was required to diligently visit the forums; it's my opinion that the NetRep ought to -- especially when he mentions publishing a digest in January 2010 and it's now March 2011. :) I didn't contact anybody for help because the surest way to make sure a product is never released is to refer it to a committee -- working by myself, I got it done in about three weeks, and that includes my daughter being born at the same time and a good portion being typed while holding her. We've got a product on the table that can be improved as needed by not only the current NetRep (and I emphasize again -- feel free to point out the errors, I really won't mind), but by any member of the community that happens to think of something and point it out. I believe this to be a good thing.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby miguel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:23 pm

Just three weeks sounds quite fast, thinking back when I was going through the earliest digests with Mark and Manuel, the process was really slow. But then again we checked and cross-referenced every single ruling that wasn't 100% clear, so that took most of the time. If I do get full editing rights as you mentioned in another thread, there will be changes, maybe some big ones (less bulletins, more text; no editorials (sorry); etc.), but I'm sure you and everyone else would be happy with the end product. And naturally I'd keep the file updated after finishing the initial work. :)
miguel
Council Member

Postby thorondor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:07 pm

thorondor
Vice-chair

Postby thorondor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:17 pm

well, i just checked, and it was inded my mistake!! the NetRep team is now in.
sry guys!
thorondor
Vice-chair

Postby Bandobras Took » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:34 pm

That was three solid weeks, by the way; often three-four hours/night.

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Questions