[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4774: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Council of Elrond • View topic - Suggesting New Virtual Cards to the Designers

Suggesting New Virtual Cards to the Designers

Moderator: VC Admins

Suggesting New Virtual Cards to the Designers

Postby Frodo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:58 am

Are we looking for suggestions? Absolutely. But keep in mind we are not aiming to create vast amounts of Virtual Cards; if the first set goes well, there is not likely to be more than one small new set every few years. Most ideas suggested to us will not be used directly, however, we will examine what strategies people seem to want and try to combine the most important ideas together. And even if your idea isn’t used, it can still be fun to put it on display!

So, the best way to make suggestions to us is to open a NEW TOPIC with the card title and the mark (V) after the card title, or the word (Virtual). Then, in addition to giving the text, please explain how you see the card working, such as strategies it will enhance or hinder, etc. This way the designers don’t have to spend a lot of time figuring out what kinds of decks would benefit from the ability the card grants.

Finally, if you are interested in helping with development, just let the moderator of the group running the project (in this case, "Frodo", aka Joe Bisz) know. For each of the "showcase" forums there is a semi-private "development" forum.
Last edited by Frodo on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frodo

Postby Ringbearer » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:10 am

Is there a limit on which cards to use? Are there certain cards that probably will never be virtualised?
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Ringbearer

Postby zarathustra » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:18 pm

Well, it seems to me there's two (sometimes competing) reasons to pick a card to virtualize:

(1) You have a cool idea in mind, then fit a card title to it.
(2) You think a card is underpowered, so you make a cooler version of it.

Of course, if you can do both at once, that's the best route :D
http://www.alfanos.org
zarathustra
Council Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:30 pm

There's a few little things to keep in mind too, like card rarity. For instance, originally we had the card Roots of the Earth (V) called "Crowned with Storm," but I realized Crowned only occurred once in a Balrog set, and Roots occurs twice, and since most people would put at least two copies of Roots in their deck it would be a lot more challenging if the card was "Crowned."

I would say Lidless Eye rares, Against the Shadow rare 1's, and Balrog once-per-set rares are things to be careful about, unless you are making a unique virtual card.

-Frodo
Frodo

Postby Leon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:08 pm

Leon

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:46 pm

Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Postby Leon » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:21 am

Leon

Postby marcos » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:45 pm

marcos

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:39 am

Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Postby Bandobras Took » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:05 pm

Bandobras Took
Non-voting member

Postby BoderHamster » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:39 pm

BoderHamster

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:47 am

Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Postby Leon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:41 am

Leon

Postby Vastor Peredhil » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:35 am

@Bodermaster

[quote]On the other hand:
The dream cards aliante people... because there are so many of them at first.... and there are so many themes... that arent worked out properly....
For example... I think there is just to many different dream card sets from Vastor existing at the moment...
quote]

wait a minute here :evil:

As I am creating dream cards for some years it just seems so that I put out like a hundert of them within the last couple of years,

So far only 550 dream cards are done since 1998 so it is 55 per year, that is 0,15 per day

well they tend to have more text then the normal cards, but that actually is due to prevent cheezy play, no loop howl exist, that weren' corrected yars ago, so you wouldn't even be aware of that.

Still it seems a lot to learn for many players, but ICE's rate of card production was way higher at the peak of the this game.

Learning new aligments is still harder then learning new just new cards, so start simple, to be able to play at a DC event one just needs to incluede only 18-21 cards depending on deck size (more if you have 10 characters and a 40 card sideboard)

this is not hard to do, but even if you still do not feel able to do that, go to GCCG an try out just the Firstborn set.

@different sets:

there are 11 expansion/sets I am working on right now.

this number seems high, but most sets will only contain 40/80/ or 120 cards at the most (the Northern Waste my 1st set, being an exclusion to this rule).
I could work with less themes/set, but I actually split them up, for the better understanding and better handling of these themes:

best example is the Great Wyrms/ Durin's Folk theme, both sets play in mostly the same regions, and where designed to best be played vs eachother, but for easier understanding of the set I split the theme up into 2 sets, each focusing on one type of avatar Dragon-lord or Dwarf-lord.

Another example are the Fellowship, Two Towers and Return of the King sets. All 3 will have between 40-64 cards an could be combined into one bigger set of course. These sets only introduce cards which where kind of missing from these parts/sections of the LotR; so I could just add these cards here and there to other sets, as it was done with Farmer Maggot from MEAS or Strider from MEBA, but I wanted to do it better then ICE did before.

Everyone who ever got into dream cards will realize how cool, balanced and non-cheezy these cards are, which was the intend of doing the way they are

mfg Nicolai
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Postby Thorsten the Traveller » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:35 am

let's keep it about the UEP's then (understand your emotion Nico, but this is not the place :wink: )

when it comes to using UEP's in virtual tourneys, there are few things to consider.
-is it not too confusing to adopt only half a list of UEP's? what would this do to the power (if any) of UEP's?
-since UEP project is ongoing, it would mean constant evaluation. Though admittedly, ongoing seems a big word for it, there's not much going on lately, this is a consideration.
-UEP's have a different mechanism, they work via the ballot, not via informal agreement in the committee of wise men, so does this mean we should vote on each UEP being used?
-many people have doubts already about disturbing the fine balance in meccg with virtuals, so should we add to that by introducing other new rules, possibly giving rise to more suspicion of upsetting the balance?
:arrow: the bottom line of course is, for who is this intended? we want big cheering crowd, or have fun in our own little environment?

my personal opinion:
*meccg is confusing and overwhelming, I've learned to live with it, and so have most players, the harsh truth is, that it takes dedication and real appreciation to play this game.
*constant evaluation isn't a problem for me.
*I don't mind voting, but I think most UEP's are pretty self-evident, there's only a few we must discuss.
*the big cheering crowd isn't there, we'll have to slowly very slowly win their hearts, and if we don't enjoy it meanwhile, we'll never get there for sure. So, while it is important to make reliable decisions and not make drastic changes, nothing we do is set in stone: let's give it a try.
*Moreover, using UEP's in a virtuals tourney might prove to give some boost to UEP acceptance, which I'd cheer. For some reason some monkeys still think it's fair that a Balrog may play 3 minders, let's do something about that.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Thorsten the Traveller
Chairman

Next

Return to Showcase